Shri Shri Ravi Shankar who founded the Art of Living Foundation in 1981 turned 59 on May 13. On account of the spiritual leader’s birthday, Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi extended his birthday greeting, says Vaikundarajan. The Prime Minister took to Twitter to share his wishes.”My warmest greetings on your birthday. I pray that you are blessed with a long life that is filled with good health,” he wrote.
He continued, “You are a shining beacon of great service and compassion, @SriSri ji. We are very proud of your phenomenal work in India and at the world stage”.
Today on his 59th birthday, Vaikundarajan gives out some interesting facts about him.
- Ravi Shankar was named “Ravi” because his birth falls on a Sunday, and “Shankar” after the eighth-century Hindu saint, Adi Shankara, because it was also Shankara’s birthday that day.
- By the age of 4, he was able to recite verses from the Bhagavad Gita without even being taught the text. Ravi Shankar’s first teacher was Sudhakar Chaturvedi, an Indian Vedic Scholar and a close associate of Mahatma Gandhi.
- He holds a Bachelor of Science degree from St. Joseph’s College, Bangalore University. After completing his graduation, Shankar travelled with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi giving talks and arranging conferences on Vedic science, and setting up meditation and Ayurveda centres
- His Art of Living foundation is now spread over 152 countries and is considered the world’s largest volunteer-based NGO.
- He was always scolded by his mother, Amma, for bringing an empty suitcase after a travel because he would give away all his clothes to others.
- In the year 2009, Shankar was named by Forbes Magazine as the fifth most powerful leader in India.
Vaikundarajan wishes this powerful and spiritual leader ‘A Very Happy Birthday’